Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is a condition where there is a foul or unpleasant odor coming from the mouth periodically or continuously. We understand that it can feel really embarrassing talking to your family, friends, and colleagues when you have bad breath that you just can’t seem to get rid of!
Reasons You May Have Bad Breath
There are quite a few reasons why a person may be experiencing bad breath, including:
- Diet – Food is a leading cause of bad breath. Some foods leave a temporary bad smell in the mouth. However, foods can also get stuck in teeth and promote the accumulation of bacteria, which can prolong the smell.
- Dry Mouth – Without proper saliva production, the mouth lacks the moisture it needs to naturally cleanse the mouth of odor-producing food particles and bacteria.
- Health Problems – Certain health conditions such as allergies, sinus infections, gum disease, the common cold, and more can contribute to bad breath.
- Medications – Certain medications can have negative side effects on a person’s breath. Ask your doctor if your medication could play a factor in your halitosis.
- Oral Hygiene – Poor oral hygiene can ruin the smell of your breath. Decay, bacteria, and infection produce odors that will linger until your oral hygiene and oral health is properly under control with the right preventive and restorative care.
- Tobacco Usage – Smoking tobacco or chewing tobacco leaves many chemicals in the mouth that smell bad. Tobacco can also cause gum disease and other oral health problems that can lead to bad breath.
Solutions for Bad Breath
One of the best ways to get your bad breath under control is to figure out the underlying cause. We recommend contacting your primary care provider and your dentist to help you determine the cause. The sooner you know what’s contributing to your bad breath, the sooner you can tackle it head-on so you can enjoy a fresh smile!
Are you struggling with halitosis in Austin, TX? Our friendly team can help! Please contact Southwest Smiles today to schedule a consultation at our comfortable office!